When the code in the
master branch is considered to be stable, a release can be made. This is the procedure:
- Tag the last commit with a version number (in the format
vx, where x is the extension's version number for that release) by running
bash tagRelease.bash --version vx. Note that the tag must be pushed to Gerrit after being created.
- Build the extension for both the stable and beta channels. This will output a ZIP file for each release channel and each supported browser.
Afterwards, the release/build files must be submitted to the Chrome Web Store and addons.mozilla.org.
Submitting to the Chrome Web Store
- Upload both release files to the Chrome Web Store, one for each release channel.
- Submit both releases to be reviewed by the Chrome Web Store team, but in the case of the stable channel uncheck the "Publish automatically after it has passed review" option.
- Upload the beta release file to the GitHub releases page under the newly created tag. Mark that release as a pre-release at GitHub.
- Wait until the beta release is reviewed and approved by Google.
- Test again the extension by using the beta channel. Check if the options have been transfered correctly from version to version, and wait some days (for instance between 3 and 5 days) to see if other people report issues with the updated version.
- If everything goes well, publish the update in the stable channel. The updated version should have already been reviewed by the Chrome Web Store team at this time.
- Update the release file in the GitHub releases page by removing the beta release file and uploading the stable release file. Also, remove the pre-release label.
If during this process the release wasn't approved by Google or an issue was found during beta testing, a new release which fixes this should be created and the previous stable update should be canceled and superseded by the new release.
Submitting to addons.mozilla.org
The procedure is similar to the one with the Chrome Web Store, except for the fact that the stable version is directly uploaded to the store.
TODO(avm99963): Add more details here.